The Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award 2016 launches on the 7th March 2016.
Please read the full rules carefully.
- You must be aged 11-17 on the closing date of the 31st July 2016 (inclusive) in order to enter. The competition closes at midnight BST on the 31st July 2016.
- Individuals may enter more than one poem, however we strongly advise that you concentrate on drafting and redrafting your poems and send only a selection (we suggest no more than 4-6 absolute maximum) of your very best. Remember, quality is more important than quantity.
- The competition is free to enter and poems can be of any length and on any theme.
- Your work is accepted on the basis that this will be its first publication anywhere in the world. Each poem must be the original work of the author (we do run checks for plagiarism on all selected poems), and must not have been previously published (in print, including anthologies, magazines and solo collections; online on any website, including blogs, online magazines or on social media such as Twitter, Facebook or Instagram; broadcast on any regional, national or online TV station or via any radio platform) or have won any other competition.
- Poems must be in English.
- Entries will be accepted from anywhere in world. (Note that we are unable to cover the international travel fees for winners to the award ceremony and Arvon Course).
- Competition entries cannot be returned under any circumstances. Please make sure you take note of all poems entered and send copies only.
- Entries sent in by e-mail (as attachments or written in the body of email) cannot be accepted under any circumstances. If you would like to enter online, only entries through the formal online form.
- By entering this competition, entrants agree that their poems and data may be used anonymously for research purposes.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning this decision.
- All online entries must be received by midnight BST on the 31st July 2016. Late online entries will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- All postal entries must be post-dated on or before the 31st July 2016. Late postal entries will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Due to the large number of entrants we are unable to respond individually to submissions.
- No acknowledgment of receipt can be made for postal entries unless a stamped, self-addressed envelope is included with the entry.
- All 100 winning poets (top 15 and 85 commended) will be notified in September 2016 and invited to an award ceremony on National Poetry Day, 6th October 2016. All winners will be required to provide a biography, photograph and permission form.
- Due to the sheer volume of entries, only successful entrants will be notified. Details of the full winners list will be announced publicly on the website on the 6th October 2016.
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. However, authors of the winning poems, by entering the competition, grant the Poetry Society the right to publish and/or broadcast their poem. If you allow your winning poem to be published after the date of the 8th October 2016, you agree to acknowledge the Poetry Society by using the words “First published by The Poetry Society for the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award 2016″ and include a hyperlink to www.foyleyoungpoets.org.
- Authors of the winning poems will grant The Poetry Society irrevocable, non-exclusive licence to republish the work in perpetuity, including (but not limited to):
- publishing the work online
- production of reprints
- publication (in print or online) of the work as part of an anthology or as an educational resource
All the rights mentioned above cover distribution or publication anywhere in the world